- Quiz Winners
- Dashboard Challenge
Winners of InfoCepts Global MicroStrategy Contest 2016
The globally contested battle of skills finally comes to an end!! After the exhaustive effort of evaluating all the contestants, we are immensely happy to announce the much awaited final winners of our ‘InfoCepts Global MicroStrategy Contest 2016’ Our team would like to extend many thanks to all the participants for submitting great entries. We also thank all those who have directly or indirectly contributed to the success of this grand event.
The dashboard provides snapshot of entire scope, from Emiritization to Demographics to Utility Analysis. Comprehensive, yet not too much. Representation of KPI’s with relevant key context makes it very easy for the users to navigate and derive information. The eye on finer details like Notes section, context/section labels etc. gives a rich user experience.
The storyline depicted in document and implementation across 6 layouts represents the business and data in an appropriate manner. The simplest example is when looking at Labor contribution per Economic Activity, Nation Guest Distribution. The value this brings into the context of the subject area is immense. Some key functional highlights of the dashboard: Crisp and visually very appealing, consistent with the region / time selector on top across panels, choice of visualization for effective decision making w.r.t profile of users.
The power of the dashboard lies in the simplicity of the information representation. The pies, the bar graphs coupled with indicators and summary information makes the dashboard, extremely easy to use keeping the senior stakeholders in mind. It is visually very appealing, with the use of soft colortones, highlights the right content and outlier. Although not a crafted with a strong storyline, but does give insight by itself. The summary section of the dashboard gives a powerful insight, with adequate details spread over different section/layout.
The analysis in dashboard is coupled with the unique set of visualization to represent the data. Analytically, the dashboard presents a strong case and provides valuable insight. It allows for easier and faster comparisons between different chart types, as well as the identification of trends and relationships within the overall data set, leading to deeper insights that might otherwise not have been attained. Furthermore the best use of the critical features like drilling, use of visualization as selector, thresholds to highlight outlier, combination charts, 3 dimensional network charts brings interactivity for analytical operations in the dashboard.
InfoCepts is giving away great prizes to the first three winners of the MicroStrategy Global contest.
- The first mega prize is 'MacBook Air 128 GB' - The Macintosh ultraportable notebook computer from Apple Inc.
- The First Runner up gets to win an iPad Air - The fifth generation full-sized iPad tablet
- The Second Runner up wins an exciting Apple Watch 42mm (Sports Edition)
In addition to the winner and the top two runner ups, we will recognize few more submissions as "Worthy Mentions".
All the winners and the worthy mentions will receive a certificate of recognition.
The winning dashboards as well as the worthy mentions will be exhibited on InfoCepts website.
- The organizers reserve the right to withdraw / cancel / or change time or mode of delivery of the prizes. Any change will be intimated to the concerned person as the event draws near.
- Decision made by judges will be final
- Who all are eligible to participate in the contest?
Ans : Any of the MicroStrategy professionals across the globe with two or more years of experience are eligible to take part in the contest.
- What will be the mode of conducting Quiz?
Ans : Quiz will be conducted online. You will be given a login ID and password, through which you can appear for the test.
- How should I apply?
Ans : You can apply by enrolling for the contest by filling up the registration form on the contest website.
- What will be the shortlisting criteria for the Quiz?
Ans : Shortlisting will be done on the basis of your performance in the quiz.
- Is it possible for candidates from location other than India to appear for the Quiz?
Ans : Yes, candidates from any location across the globe can take up this quiz.
- Can I refer my friends or acquaintance to appear for the contest?
Ans : Yes, we would like you to share this contest with your acquaintance and friend through social media.
- Is group participation allowed?
Ans : No, only individual participation is allowed.
- How will I be informed about my results?
Ans : There will be continuous e-mail communication from Global MicroStrategy Contest team. They will keep every participant posted about their results and contest proceedings.
Announcing the Quiz Winners
Winners of Online Quiz of MicroStrategy Global Contest 2016 are :
- Aastha Seth
- Aeshna Gupta
- Anoogna K
- Anthony Raj
- Brijesh Kumar
- Chandan Kumar Kaushik
- Devendra Nath Jamuar
- Gurumoorthy Karthikeyan
- Harini Muthaiyan
- Lakshmi Kiran Gorugantu
- Mahesh Sonavane
- Moinak Chakravorty
- Nehal Parate
- Parthasarathy S
- Piyush Rai
- Raktim Majumdar
- RVS Prasad
- Sanjaya Samantaray
- Sarat Varanasi
- Siddharth vij
- Sujay Nikam
- Sujit Kumar
- Suneel Kondaparthy
- Swathi HR
- Vikas Kumar
- Vishal Shah
Congratulations to everyone in the list; you have qualified for the next round of Dashboard Challenge.
Congratulations to all of you who have crossed the first challenge of the MicroStrategy Global Contest. As winners of the online quiz, you now have only one last challenge to win the coveted award.
In this last and final round of the MicroStrategy Global Contest, you are required to take up a Dashboard Development Challenge! Buckle up! You are competing against the best of MicroStrategy Professionals across the globe.
The MicroStrategy Dashboard Challenge
The objective of this challenge is to showcase your expertise by developing a "Visually Pleasant, Functionally Rich and Analytically Precise” Visual Insights Dashboard using MicroStrategy 10.x version.Contestants should use the data source provided by the organizers only.
You need to create a Visual Insights Dashboard to display various analytical views based on the data provided. Visual Insights dashboard should be built using MicroStrategy 10.x version. Attempt should be made to use all the different features offered by Visual Insights in the latest version of MicroStrategy 10.x.
Steps for the Dashboard Challenge:
1) Select Dashboard Data Sources:
- A. Organizers will share the data set link with the finalists over the email
- B. Contestants are required to use only this dataset to create their dashboards
- C. Any further queries in this regards should be sent to email@example.com only
2) Create a Visual Insights Dashboard:
- A. You need to develop Visual insights dashboard either by using the Data Import feature
OR Model the data in a database and then architect a new project in MicroStrategy followed by development of Application objects and a Visual Insights dashboard.
- B. You are expected to chalk out your own analytical use case and business question(s) and then create an effective Dashboard for the same on MicroStrategy platform
- C. You got only 15 days to complete this activity and submit your final deliverable
3) Submit Final Deliverables:
- A. For proper assessment for the competition you are required to submit two major deliverables:
- i) Fully functional .mstr file with data. This .mstr file should showcase all interactive functionality and features as described above. This .mstr file will be imported in InfoCepts local environment for assessment.
- ii) A write-up about the Dashboard in the word file template provided by the organizers (this will also be shared along with the Data set)
- B.The MicroStrategy Dashboard Challenge window is open from 5th April 2016 – 19th April 2016.
Few Tips for Optimized Dashboard Design and Development Best practices
- 1. Data Visualization Best Practices
- Data flow should be from left to right and top to bottom
- The most important part of dashboard is the top left corner. It must be used to display the most important data
- Use appealing Color combination which can be easily consumed. Prefer limited use of bright colors.
- Maintain consistent font type and alignment across the Dashboard to enhance the overall readability
- Avoid using italics, ALL CAPS, underlines in displaying the Data/Text because these are difficult to read and can cause the user to confuse these with hyperlinks
- 2. Design Best Practices
- Alignment of data in a Grid: Attribute headers and values should be left aligned while Metric headers and values should be right aligned
- Avoid horizontal scrolling and minimize the vertical scrolling. Lock the Grid column headers when scrolling is enabled
- Save Grid and Graph Auto-styles to reduce formatting efforts
- Use thresholds to highlight specific exceptional values
- Sequencing of Attributes and Metrics:
- Sequence the attributes in Hierarchical order from left to right
- Place the time attributes in columns of a grid when having more than 1 attribute
- Metrics derived from other metrics using a calculation should be placed in a column just right of the column from which they are derived.
- Whenever displaying Ranking values or comparison, sort the values vertically in the order of merit
Please Note –
- There will be ongoing correspondence from InfoCepts - MicroStrategy Global Contest organisers to those of you who are shortlisted for the third and final step
- Installation, configuration, trouble shooting and maintenance of the MicroStrategy environment to be used for creating the dashboard will be your own responsibility
- You can also download MicroStrategy Enterprise Evaluation Edition from this Link to setup your own MicroStrategy environment
- Organising team will NOT be able to help in setting up MicroStrategy environment for creating Dashboard
- Mode of submission of the dashboard and other deliverables will be shared in a separate email
- Submission of Dashboards post 19th April 2016 will be NOT be considered for the contest